Data Architect & Team Lead
Posted 4 months ago
Join a prominent and established asset management company founded in Cape Town, South Africa. With a strong commitment to providing competitive long-term returns to clients, the company has grown into a leading brand in the South African investment industry. As active investment managers, they focus on specialist equity and multi-asset portfolios in global emerging and frontier markets. With assets totalling R627 billion (as of June 2023), they serve a diverse clientele, including institutional and retail investors both locally and internationally. Become part of this successful and employee-owned organization dedicated to delivering world-class investment solutions.
A data expert who is able to confidently move from architectural definition and technical guidance to hands-on implementation and troubleshooting.
- Design, implement and future-proof data solutions to provide and guarantee accurate, consistent, timeous data to meet the business needs.
- Provide architecture artefacts in accordance with business and project requirements.
- Conceptualize on-premise, cloud components, security, networking, and monitoring solutions for data needs.
- Provide plans to migrate existing complex on-premises data solutions to cloud platforms when applicable.
- Identify and lead cross-functional team members, partner with your peers in the organisation and connect business objectives with technical vision.
- Lead, manage and grow a team of data specialists; analysts, modellers, and engineers.
- Assist in hiring and mentoring engineers, and build a high-performing team.
- Work on project management tasks associated with allocating resources and identifying risk items.
- Plan to explore and grow new technology in support of future organisational direction.
- Participate in the evolution and direction of the company’s data strategy.
- Champion the adoption of industry best practices to push the development standards.
- Provide thought-leadership, knowledge-sharing and advisory services.
- BSc or MSc degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field.
- Microsoft-certified Azure Data Engineer Associate.
- Track record in building and running large-scale systems professionally for 10+ years.
- Experience in communicating with and presenting to senior stakeholders.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a technical leadership role, leading teams that design, architect and implement complex data-centric systems.
- Minimum of 5 years experience with technology development and delivery, with a particular focus on on-premise, cloud and/or hybrid data platforms.
- Experience using services and components such as ADF, Synapse, Databricks, Compute, containers, integration, storage, web and DevOps.
- Possess a deep understanding of database systems (e.g. MySQL, MS SQL, non-relational DBs) including modelling, design, scalability, performance and high availability.
- Proficient in UML, BPM, and the use of Architecture Design tools e.g. Sparx or similar experience using tools such as Lucid or Visio.